Wednesday, May 14, 2008

First of Finland,

There's so many reasons for me not to like Padova and not want to live there. I know that. As well as I know that even if I want to stay in Finland for the old days, I also know that I don't want those days to start just yet.

In the morning I went out for few last things to do anymore. I saw Piero. He doesn't know any english, so it's only italian with him. It's not always so easy, but I'm surprised of my confidence in speaking now. I can actually make jokes and have a conversation. Usually I miss some words and depending on the person the conversation is VAIHTELEVASTI successful. However, I realize that after starting to hang-out more with finnish people my italian has improved. I don't talk so much english and I don't have to focus so much on changing from language to language. Or maybe that has nothing to do with hanging out with finnish people. Maybe it's a change in me. I hope so.

I even enjoy talking italian. It doesn't feel like work anymore.

The last hours at home, I had nothing to do anymore, but I didn't dare to leave the house before actually leaving for the bus station. I did nothing. I couldn't sit in front of the computer but I didn't have anything else to do either... so I just wandered around thinking if I should eat something or pack some more or leave already or... I leave home very early to first catch the tram and then the bus at the station. At the bus station a nun asks me if a bus is a bus to Venezia. She starts to ask where I'm going with such big luggage. She talks slow if I don't understand. When the bus comes I touch her hand to make her aware of it. When she leaves the bus, she touches mine and waves. "Buon viaggio cara!"

On the way to the airport I see a lot of things. There is bright red flowers on the side of the road. A family of ducks going to a river. A HAIKARA. Signs.. I see all signs. Were they all there before, but I was too tired, too sad, too.. something to realize it.

I get to the airport I'm one hour early for the check-in. It goes fast. I read some more of The Alchemist and listen to my mp3-player. I watch at the screen telling me which check-in. There's a storm inside me. I can figure out all the possible reasons why not leave Italy and not go to Finland. And vice versa. I cannot figure out what I want. I think of Mario who just came from Singapore where he found not just love but also a place he wants to go with one way ticket. He fell in love with Singapore like he did with Finland.

Standing in line with all finnish speaking people, I realize how much I dislike it. I even catch myself thinking that I will never take Finnair again because there is nothing but around me. I dislike their need to get everything done right at the very second (no ability to wait). I dislike their way of looking. I think there's only one young girl and a really old guy that look worth getting to know to. Just for a while I like about the world except for my home country.

I have so many reasons to dislike Italy. None of them have anything to do with the country itself. All of them are about my experience here. Why go, why stay. When to go and when to stay? I have no idea.

I just know that I'm (fucking) excited to see my family, grandparents and friends again.. but the excitment does not include the country itself.

There is something that I absolutely adore in leaving. Unknown.

300408

Tässä, kauniina kuin mastodontti konsanaa, suorassa kuin juhannussalko. - Jussi

After I walked through the gates of the airport. Coming from the no-mans-land I felt so out of place. I was happy to be there, but it was strange to understand what the women behind the desk selling sandwichs'said to each other.

Later on I did so much that I didn't usually do when I was in Finland. I talked to an unknown woman on the busstop and she seemed to be happy to be talked to. I walked around in the shops... and finally in the bookstore where I could understand most of the books. In the beginning I even found italians from the food hall of Turku. There is a small italian restaurant where two men were talking italian. I stop, look back...

"you talk italian"
"yes we do"
"how nice"
"sit here and have lunch with us"
"no, i can't now"

The first days I was completely out of place. I wanted back to Italy so bad and I seeked signs to tell me that I belong there. I should be there, but everytime I only found a certain peace of mind that I have when walking these streets. It's a feeling I have for myself when I am here. I like myself here and I'm me in here. I don't think the people who know me in Italy, know the me that people here know and who I know.. or the me I want to be for everyone and in everywhere.

No comments: